Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Jacobson Family


Last weekend I found a stack of photos - all labeled - of one family. I was beyond excited. These photos are amazing and I really hope I can track somebody down to claim them.

Back - Peter Jacobson, Charlie, Frank. Front - wife Anna, Oscar, Esther and Hilma

LEFT - Esther Jacobson
RIGHT- Esther, Anna and Hilma Jacobson


LEFT - Hilma & Esther Jacobson
RIGHT - Hilma Cecilia Jacobson


Hilma Jacobson Berg

So what I've found so far... Peter (born Jan 1855) & Anna Jacobson (nee Benson or Bentson, born Oct 1860) emigrated from Sweden in 1881. They settled in Rockford, Illinois for a while, where they had their 5 children - Hilma Cecilia (born January 25, 1882), Frank Walfred (born October 23, 1883), Charles Peter (born Dec 13, 1885), Oscar Edward (born June 14, 1889) and Esther M (born Dec 24, 1890). In 1905 they moved to Canada.

Which is where research on my part gets trickier, as my access to Canadian records and newspapers is quite limited.

Thanks to the backs of a couple photos, I know that Hilma married a man named Edwin Berg and that Esther had married a man whose surname was Gray... and they had a daughter Dorothy who died in a fire in 1918. I was able to verify that with a newspaper clipping and found a photo of their headstone, but can't find the first name of her husband.




Vancouver Daily World
(Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada)
31 Jan 1918, Thu • Page 12
Accessed From: Newspapers.com
Photo by Terrance B. Sweeney via FindAGrave.com
I'm pretty sure that Ocsar has living descendants and possibly Hilma. I did find one tree on Ancestry that had this family listed, and messaged them, but have not heard back. Which is killing me, because I'd really love to share the excitement of finding these photos.

Here's to hoping any descendants run across this blog. 

These photos were purchased from Antique Plaza in Mesa, Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment