Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Goettlings: Ernest Goettling & Susanna "Susie" Rose Gateman (Part 1)

I'm going to have to divide these posts up into parts, otherwise this is going to be the longest blog post ever. Two months ago I found one of my biggest hauls of a single (labeled!) family at an antique store. Needless to say, I was very excited.



And work got insane and all genealogy got put on hold because by the time I was done with my day, all I wanted to do was curl up in a little ball and not think about anything. I picked these back up last week and decided I was going to find where every single person it into this family.

Ernest Goettling was born on February 14, 1874, in Germany to parents Gottlieb and Johanna Goettling (nee Krauss). He married Susanna "Susie" Rose Gateman on December 25, 1903, in Waterloo, Canada. They had five children in 16 years. He died on September 27, 1948, in Tacoma, Washington, at the age of 74.

 
Ernest and Susanna Goettling

As far as newspaper clippings go, I didn't find much online. There were a few real estate transactions that mentioned Ernest - the most notable of which is where he bought land to build his home for his new bride - and a vague birth announcement for their daughter Katharine.

From the Tacoma Daily News (Tacoma, WA), February 27, 1904. Page 10.
Also found in this photo batch was a picture of their daughter Ruth, born November 20, 1904. She married Gilford Schoeffler and had one daughter. She died May 26, 2001 in Tempe, Arizona. 

Daughter Ruth
Which explains how all these family photos ended up in Arizona. I, of course, can't find Ruth's obituary online, so one of these weekends I'm going to have to trek down the library and see if I can dig it up. 

There were also a few photos of Susanna with her siblings which are pretty marvelous.

Susanna with sisters. From left: Mary, Esther, Susanna and Miranda

Susanna, Leander and Mary Gateman

To be continued.... with other branches of the Goettling family!

1 comment:

  1. Hey!! I don't know if this is still an active page, but I just stumbled across it. I'm a distant relative! I've just been starting to look into my family history and it took a minute but I found the connection. My grandma was born in 1918, Elsie May Goettling. Her grandfather was named August Goettling. From what I can find, it looks like August and Ernest were brothers, both the sons of Johanna. Pretty cool!! I unfortunately don't have a connection to that branch of the family at all, but there may still be some living relatives.

    ReplyDelete