Tuesday, April 14, 2015

David & Luvisa Shanks (nee Fisher)


More photos I bought back in January while visiting in-laws in California. If I hadn't found Luvisa's photo, I probably would not have purchased David's because a later generation had only labeled the back as "Grandfather Shanks, age 21". Unhelpful. Also, Luvisa actually signed the back of hers which is pretty cool.



David Shanks was born December 23, 1832 in Crab Orchard, Kentucky to parents William Shanks and Rebecca Baughman. He married Luvisa Fisher - daughter of William Paterson Fisher and Mary Truesdale Pennington, born March 11, 1837 -  on September 22nd, 1853 in Lincoln County, Kentucky. They had 9 children - Judith, Rebecca, Ephraim, Mary, Susan, Kate, Nannie (Mamie?), Samuel and C Walter Shanks. David died August 5, 1882 and Luvisa died January 6, 1915.


Photos by Cathy & Thomas (David's) and Christina Bishop (Luvisa's) via FindAGrave.com

I didn't find much going backwards documentation-wise. I found a couple trees that traced David's line back to Thomas Owsley (1730-1796, Illinois). If that's true... then David's grand uncle was William Owsley, the 16th Governor of Kentucky... which is pretty cool. He even has his own Wikipedia page!

Going forwards, I've managed to follow their oldest daughter Judith's line down quite a ways... to 8 great great great grandchildren, who as far as I know are still alive.... and I'm just starting to work my way down Kate's line. With so many living descendants, I'm very hopeful that I can find somebody interested in owning these photos. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment